Ah, brownies – the quintessential chocolatey delight that has been satisfying our sweet tooth cravings for generations. And what better way to indulge in this decadent treat than with Betty Crocker’s Fudge Brownie mix?
But let’s face it, while these brownies are undoubtedly delicious; sometimes we crave a little extra oomph to take them to the next level.
Fear not, for I have just the solution for you – a few simple tricks to make Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies even better.
From adding a twist of flavor to achieving the perfect texture, get ready to elevate your brownie game and impress your taste buds. So, grab your apron, and let’s get baking!
How Do You Make Box Brownies Better? [My Go-To Recipe]
Water, eggs, and vegetable oil are the main ingredients in a box brownie mix. To improve the texture and taste of brownies, you need to add ingredients to the brownie mix.
Our goal is to make boxed brownie mix taste like homemade brownies, super fudgy brownies, with glossy tops and ultra fudgy interiors.
The following ingredients can be added to brownies:
- Use melted butter – for a richer chocolate flavor than vegetable oil.
- Add buttermilk or whole milk to the batter – it gives the brownie a richer flavor and gives it a more homemade taste.
- Make the brownies more chocolate by adding additional cocoa powder – enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Put chocolate chips in the brownies – they will add texture and enhance the chocolate flavor.
- A pinch of espresso powder – this gives the brownies a richer chocolate flavor and keeps them from tasting like coffee. You can substitute 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of instant coffee for 1/4 cup of brewed strong coffee.
How Do You Upgrade Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix?
A good brownie box mix comes in handy when you need to bake quickly. Find out which is the best brownie mix and bonus ingredients for making a box brownie taste better. Make the best brownies ever with a box brownie mix.
As a pastry chef who has been classically trained, you should know how to make the finest chocolate and cocoa powder brownies. That article is not this one. The purpose of this recipe is to save time and make boxed brownies taste even better.
A homemade product, even. There is something fudgy and rich about good brownies, with a nice, crackled skin on top and just the right amount of crispiness around the edges.
Chocolate chips and walnuts provide texture and flavor to great brownies, as well as a deep chocolate flavor. You can make the best brownie mix even better by following these steps.
1. Add A Swirl
The addition of decadent fillings can give a regular pan of brownies a whole new level of flavor and visual appeal. In addition to cheesecake marbling, peanut butter, cookie butter, caramel, and marshmallow swirls are equally delicious.
2. Add Secret Ingredients
Pastry chefs know that certain “secret” ingredients can enhance certain flavors, but may not be listed in a recipe. Pies, tarts, jams, and preserves benefit from fresh lemon juice, which enhances and brightens the flavors of fruit.
Box brownies are best flavored with:
- Vanilla extract
- Expresso powder
- An extra egg yolk
When it comes to brownies, coffee is the best secret ingredient, just as it is in chocolate in general. To be precise, instant espresso powder.
The flavor and depth of chocolate are enhanced by coffee, just as lemon juice adds brightness to fruit. The Italian brand Medaglia D’Oro, available in a wide range of stores, is my preferred choice after a bit of taste testing.
3. Throw In Something Decadent
Raiding your pantry is the easiest way to customize brownies. There is no wrong way to load brownies up with sweets; you can stir a handful (or two) into the batter, sandwich cookies and candies between two layers, or work them into the topping.
4. Swap Fats
Swap vegetable oil for melted butter or coconut oil if you want to upgrade the recipe. These brownies are so rich and fudgy, even the most snobbish brownie snob will think they’re scratch-made.
5. Experiment With Extracts
Pure vanilla extract is another secret ingredient. The chocolate flavor is enhanced by the sweet aroma. A teaspoon or two of extract might be all you need when you want classic fudge brownies with a pop of flavor.
The extract shelf offers everything from nutty (almond, hazelnut) to wild (root beer, banana) to spicy (pumpkin pie, cinnamon) to classic (coffee, vanilla, mint, raspberry).
6. Add A Hint Of Salt
There are countless ways to incorporate salt into brownies, and the balance between sweet chocolate and salt is undeniably addictive.
On top of just-baked brownies, sprinkle a teaspoon of crunchy, flaky sea salt (we prefer Maldon). If you’re looking for texture AND salt, mix salty pretzels or potato chips into prepared brownie batter.
7. Get Nutty
There’s nothing new about this concept, but a handful of chopped nuts can make a huge difference in your favorite brownie recipe. You might like smoked almonds, pecans, pistachios, or salted mixed nuts beyond the basic walnut.
8. Know Which Extra Ingredients To Add To The Brownie Mix
Lastly, add bonus ingredients to the brownies for an extra-decadent, homemade dessert. The following ideas may help:
- To enhance the chocolate flavor, add a teaspoon of instant espresso powder
- Peanut butter can be swirled in
- Make the brownies richer by adding an extra egg yolk
- Chop half a cup of chocolate chips
- Chop 1/2 cup walnuts
- Half a cup of peppermint pieces should be added
- You can also add a large handful of mini pretzels. You shouldn’t chop or break them up. It will be enough to break them up when you stir them into the brownie batter and then cut the brownies.
Other Tricks To Make Boxed Brownies Better
These easy tricks will make that boxed brownie mix taste like it was made from scratch. There will be no way for anyone to find out. ?
- Instead of water, use milk. Compared to water, milk contains more fat and flavor, so the brownies are moister, gooey, and more delicious.
- Add coffee. By adding instant coffee to brownies, you don’t turn them into coffee – you just enhance the chocolate flavor!
- Give them texture. Add chocolate chunks or chips. It adds a gooey, melty, ultra rich texture to the brownies as well as a stronger chocolate flavor.
- Add vanilla. Trust me, this is important. It really adds that homemade touch to boxed brownies when you add vanilla.
You don’t need to tell anyone that you hacked a boxed brownie mix into such a tasty “homemade” brownie dessert. With so many great additions to the box – not to mention your own egg and oil – your brownies are now officially homemade.