If you want a yummy dessert that mixes coconut, rum, and chocolate popcorn, you’re in for a tasty treat!
This recipe, inspired by Great British Chef Paul Ainsworth, combines a creamy coconut rum custard with delicious chocolate-coated popcorn. It’s a dessert like no other!
Making Coconut Custard With Chocolate Popcorn And Almonds
I’m not generally one for custard or pudding. Not a fan of that smooth texture; I like something you can bite into.
So, this one is perfect for me. The crunchy topping that you get in every bite adds just what I need. And it’s a coconut custard; I have a weakness for all things coconut.
I found this recipe on a British site, so hence the milliliter measurements, I tried to convert it to the standard cups, but it works out to things such as .442 of a cup. Yeah, that’s not really helpful… So milliliter it is!
For the Coconut Rum Custard:
- 100ml coconut rum
- 250ml coconut milk
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 90g sugar
- 1 tsp powdered gelatin
For the Chocolate Popcorn with Almonds:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100g popcorn kernels
- 50g roasted almonds, chopped
- 100g milk chocolate
Coconut Rum Custard:
- Reduce the Rum: In a pan, warm up the coconut rum until it’s halfway reduced. Let it cool.
- Make the Coconut Cream Mix: In another pot, heat coconut milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until it boils.
- Whisk Eggs and Sugar: Mix egg yolks and sugar until it’s smooth and a bit pale.
- Get the Gelatin Ready: Take 50ml of the hot coconut cream and put it in a bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over it and let it sit. Leave it alone.
- Mix and Cook: Mix the rest of the coconut cream into the egg and sugar mix. Cook it on low heat until it’s thick enough to stick to a spoon. Take it off the heat, add the gelatin coconut cream, and the reduced rum. Put the custard through a sieve into another bowl and let it cool.
Chocolate Popcorn with Almonds:
- Pop the Corn: Put olive oil in a pan, add popcorn kernels, and cover it with a lid. Shake the pan until it stops popping. Put the popped popcorn on a tray, leaving out any pieces that didn’t pop.
- Melt the Chocolate: Melt the chocolate in a pot, and stir in the chopped almonds.
- Cover the Popcorn: Mix the popcorn into the chocolate-almond mix until it’s all covered. Spread it on a tray with a liner and put it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes until it’s hard.
Putting It Together:
- Use the Piping Bag: Put the cooled custard into a piping bag.
- Layer It Up: Squeeze the custard into the bottom of serving glasses.
- Top It with Chocolate Popcorn: Add a good amount of chocolate popcorn on top of the custard.
- Serve: Serve it up and enjoy the mix of creamy coconut rum custard and crispy chocolate popcorn with almonds.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I Substitute The Coconut Rum With Another Type Of Alcohol?
Yes, you can experiment with different types of rum or even other spirits if you prefer. Keep in mind that it will alter the flavor of the custard.
2. I Don’t Have A Piping Bag. Can I Still Make This Dessert?
Absolutely! While a piping bag makes for a neat presentation, you can spoon the custard into the serving glasses instead.
3. Can I Use Gelatin Sheets Instead Of Powdered Gelatin?
Yes, you can substitute gelatin sheets for powdered gelatin. Follow the package instructions for the equivalent amount, and make sure to bloom the sheets in cold liquid before adding them to the custard.
4. Is There A Non-Alcoholic Version Of This Recipe?
Certainly! You can omit the coconut rum and increase the amount of coconut milk for a non-alcoholic version. The custard will still be rich and flavorful.
5. How Long Does It Take For The Chocolate Popcorn To Set In The Fridge?
Approximately 10-15 minutes should be sufficient for the chocolate popcorn to set in the fridge. However, you can leave it longer for a firmer texture if desired.
6. Can I Prepare The Custard And Chocolate Popcorn In Advance?
Yes, you can make both the custard and chocolate popcorn a day in advance. Store the custard in the refrigerator and the chocolate popcorn in an airtight container at room temperature.
7. Can I Use Store-Bought Popcorn Instead Of Popping My Own?
Certainly! You can use pre-popped popcorn if you’re looking to save time. Just ensure it’s plain and unflavored for the best results.
8. What Can I Do With Any Leftover Chocolate Popcorn?
Any extra chocolate popcorn can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy it as a snack or use it as a topping for other desserts.
9. Can I Make This Recipe If I’m Lactose Intolerant?
You can explore dairy-free alternatives such as coconut cream or almond milk in place of heavy cream, and ensure the chocolate used is dairy-free. Adjustments may be needed for the custard’s consistency.
10. Can I Make A Larger Batch For A Party?
Absolutely! Simply adjust the quantities of ingredients accordingly to suit the number of servings you need.
The Bottom Line
Treat yourself and your friends to this amazing dessert that brings together coconut, rum, and chocolate popcorn.
It’s a sweet ending to any meal and a real crowd-pleaser. Hats off to Chef Paul Ainsworth for this fantastic recipe!